Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Sales Tax Holidays Bring Cheer

As a resident of Virginia, I cheerfully celebrated our state's sales tax holiday this past weekend (August 2-3). I am not a big fan of shopping, yet even I could not resist the tax-free deals being offered by retailers. So, I joined the crowds for some inside summer fun.

I am pleased to report that shoppers were downright jubilant! And so were all the sales guys and gals working the floor. As I entered Best Buy, I was greeted with a booming “HELLO” followed by a more cheerful – “it’s all TAX FREE!” Yep, I bought some electronics – a new digital camera, and other cool stuff.

About fifteen states promote summer “sales tax holidays” of varying degree. More states should do the same – these tax savings matter! Some of the sales people I talked to said they hadn’t seen such crowds (in Virginia) since the Christmas holiday season.

Regarding the sales tax holidays, different states choose varying rules as to what items can be purchased “tax free.” Also, there may be price ceilings in some states (purchases over a certain amount may not be tax free). Smart Money reminds consumers to look closely at the terms of each holiday – they provide a great list of tips, as well as a table of upcoming holidays in this article (the table is near the end of the piece).

Happy shopping!

Karen Kerrigan
President & CEO

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is the first i am getting an information that there are state's sales tax holiday and on that days we can have shopping without any tax. Its a nice piece of information and i like to know the forth coming tax free days. So i can have wonderful experiences.

=================================
Dan
Nebraska Treatment Centers