Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The President's Game Plan for Jobs

The NFL season kicked off right after President Obama's jobs speech came to a close on Thursday, September 8.

As a free-market, supply-side economist, I have been no fan of Mr. Obama's policy agenda. Meanwhile, as a Minnesota Vikings fan, I'm not too crazy about the New Orleans Saints, who beat us in the NFC championship game in January 2010, keeping the Vikes out of the Super Bowl.

But on Thursday night, I found myself in a strange situation. First, I was hoping for a Saints victory, since they were playing the Green Bay Packers. Quite simply, I'll even take the Saints since the Packers are the hated archrivals of my Vikings.

Second, I was rooting for President Obama to surprise me, and finally get his economics right. It was a long shot, of course, but rumors swirled that the President would be offering something big and different. Given that the U.S. economy has suffered for nearly four years now through a very deep recession and a pathetic recovery, we desperately need something big and different versus what's been imposed over these past few years.

Unfortunately, not only did the dreaded Packers win, but President Obama presented the same old stuff in his speech.

Let's consider the President's major points on policy...

Read the rest of this SBE Council Cybercolumn by chief economist Raymond J. Keating here.

No comments: